Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Read Across America - Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

What a great day. The entire school spent 30 minutes reading in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday. You could have heard a pin drop throughout the school. I read How Do I Love Thee by Nancy Moser. It was a real treat.

Dr. Seuss played a part in collaboration with an art class, the library and social studies. The 8th graders are currently studying WWII and the Holocaust. Since it is Read Across America week, I wanted to do a bulletin board depicting Dr. Seuss and his political cartoons and also his books relating to WWII, including The Sneetches, Horton Hears a Who and Yertle the Turtle. I spoke to the 2-D art class about Dr. Seuss and those particular books as well as the political cartoons he drew in 1941-1942. They are going to draw the characters for our bulletin board. It was a fun learning experience and hopefully will be a great display. I will post pictures when we are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment